1. PURPOSE OF THE COMPETITION
PORADA ARREDI srl, in cooperation with POLI.design, founded by Politecnico di Milano, announces an international ideas competition to identify new innovative concepts on different types of Armchairs, in which the use of solid wood is prevalent (although not necessarily exclusive) and which conveys the values and the identity of the Porada brand.
The wood, whether in natural-finish (preferably in finishes mainly used by the company), or lacquered, can be combined with metal, glass, leather, hide leather or fabric.
The submitted designs shall be original and unpublished; they must enhance the use of production technologies, woodworking processes and typical finishing of the solid wood and they must respond to the principle of functionality.
They must comply with the existing safety standards in force, also respecting ergonomic, environmental and sustainable design requirements.
2. TERMS OF PARTICIPATION
The competition is open to:
- Professionals category (P), Italian and/or foreign designers working independently or employed by companies (if duly authorized by their company).
- Students category (S), Italian and/or foreign students enrolled in Bachelor's or Master's degrees and recent graduates.
For both categories, group entries are also permitted. In this case, the members of the group must appoint a leader who will be the sole person in charge and referent towards POLI.design.
By entring the competition, participants unconditionally accept the terms of this competition contained herein. If these terms are not, in whole or in part, respected by the participant, their design may be disqualified.
Members of the Jury, their relatives, employees of Porada and POLI.design, may not take part.
Projects must be original and unpublished and exclusively developed for the competition.
Each participant (or group) is permitted to submit one project only.
Participation in the competition is anonymous. Each participant must create a numeric code (a six-digit number, with no digit repeated more than twice, and not in sequence) to be used to identify the files mentioned in art. 4.
For the Professionals category: add the letter 'P' as a prefix, which indicates the Professionals category.
For the Students category: add the 'letter S' as a prefix, which indicates the Student category.
3. APPLICATION OF PARTICIPATION
The application for participation in the competition and the submission of the required documents needs to be carried through online procedure via the site:
The application form must contain the personal details of the participant, tax id number, home address, mobile and home telephone numbers, email address, an explicit declaration of having understood the rules of this competition and their unconditional acceptance and, for the Student category, the name of the university, campus, course of study and year of attendance.
The code and/first name/s of the participant/s must be shown exclusively on the application form, no name should appear on the other documents presented, under penalty of disqualification.
4. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED
The documents must be delivered in digital format via the electronic procedure above within the deadline specified in section 5.
Each participant (or group) must submit:
- a brief descriptive text-only report (max 3000 characters, i.e. no more than one page) without images, describing the motivations, the general concept, the characteristics of the project and the materials envisaged.
The pdf file of the report is to be presented in portrait orientation on ISO-A4 paper (21 x 29.7 cm) and must be named 'relazione_codice'.
The header needs to exclusively contain the alphanumeric code referred to in section 2 and the project name/title, if any;
- graphics consisting of no. 3 horizontal ISO-A3 tables (42 x 29.7 cm), in pdf format, composed on the layout of the table that can be downloaded,after registration, from the website http://www.porada-design-award.polidesign.net, which must contain:
- Board 1: an overview, reference scenarios and modes of use, mood board, general concept of the object in the context of use and sources of inspiration;
- Board 2: technical drawings: plans, elevations, sections, axonometric views, exploded views, dimensioned construction drawings at appropriate scales and details of details and choice of materials, considered significant;
- Board 3: representation of the object, rendering, photos of the model.
The presentation boards should be combined into a single pdf file named 'tavole_codice' (maximum file size 5 Mb).
- a preview image of the project, summarizing the salient features (which may correspond to the render or another image deemed important) and it will be the first image viewed by the judges to identify the project, in jpg format (maximum file size 1 Mb).
The projects must be presented using exclusively the templates downloadable from the website,
once registered. The files must be uploaded exclusively through the online procedure as described above (server connections for downloading files or files sent by regular or certified email will not be accepted). No confirmation email will be sent, as the files, once uploaded on the portal, can be modified and / or replaced by the participant until the expiry of the competition. After the deadline, personal pages will no longer be accessible to users.
The entries, required without exception in digital format, shall be uploaded on the website as per procedure provided in section 4, no later then midnight on December 15 th, 2022. .
The jury is composed by the following members with voting rights:
- Two representatives from Porada
- One representative from ADI - Association for Industrial Design
- A representative of POLI.design
- Five members among representatives of the project professions and sectoral publishing.
The deliberations of the jury will remain reserved, while the final report, containing the list of the winners, as well as the finalists and honourable mentions, will be made public.
The Jury decides by a majority vote and its decision is unappealable.
The deliberations of the jury will conclude no later than February 24th , 2023.
7. ASSESSMENT CRITERIA
The selection and evaluation of the projects will take into account their originality, the level of innovation and research of new design solutions referred to the typical processing of solid wood, the experimentation on materials and surface finishes, the ability of the projects to define and anticipate scenarios of use and innovative concepts in the use of wood furniture and contemporary furnishing accessories, with particular regard to typological, technological and morphological determinations.
8. PRIZES AND HONOURABLE MENTIONS
The total prize money of € 10,000.00 will be allocated as follows:
1st prize € 3,000
2nd prize € 2,000
3rd prize € 1,000
1st prize € 2,000
2nd prize € 1,200
3rd prize € 800
9. AUTHORIZATION AND OWNERSHIP OF THE DESIGNS
Competition participants maintain ownership and the rights of exploitation of their works.
Porada reserves the right to stipulate a contract for the industrial exploitation of the projects with the designers of the winning or finalist projects.
The participants grant Porada the option to use the winning projects for one year from the date of the jury's report.
Within this period, the company will evaluate whether to put the design into production and in that case, the economic agreement with the designers will be regulated by a specific contract. Porada agrees not to modify the works presented in any way without the approval of the designer.
Porada also has the right to request a one-year option on projects which are not awarded prizes, upon payment of the rights to be agreed between the parties.
10. INFORMATION AND PUBLICATION OF THE RESULTS
The outcome of the jury's evaluation will be announced to the winners within the deadlines set and communicated via email.
Porada will present the initiative to the trade press and will communicate the results of the competition during an event, for which information will be provided in due course.
All competition participants also authorize the company to exhibit their projects in public (exhibitions and events of various kinds) and to publish their designs in a catalogue or in trade media publications; nothing will be due for this, apart from the obligation to quote the designer(s).
11. NOTICE PURSUANT TO ART. 13 OF EU REGULATION 2016/679 (GDPR)
For information on the personal data of the interested parties processed for participation in the competition and in order to be able to exercise the rights due to the interested parties on the basis of Articles 15 et seq. of the GDPR, please refer in full to the privacy statement pursuant to Article 13 GDPR attached to this document.